There are many benefits to living on Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia during the autumn season. It is also a beautiful place to visit if you are contemplating a weekend away this fall. Here are a few of the most popular reasons why people love living or visiting during this time of year:
- Mild weather: Smith Mountain Lake is generally known for its mild autumn weather, with average high temperatures in the 60’s and 70’s Fahrenheit. There are exceptions of course, but most years the moderate temps make it ideal for enjoying a variety of outdoor activities, such as boating, fishing, hiking, and biking.
- Beautiful fall foliage: The fall foliage at Smith Mountain Lake is simply breathtaking. The leaves change color to brilliant shades of red, orange, and yellow, creating a stunning contrast to the blue waters of the lake. Be sure and bring a camera if you come in October or early November!
- Fewer crowds: After Labor Day, the crowds at the Lake start to thin out. This means that you’ll have less competition for boat slips, restaurant tables, and tee times (there are some very popular and gorgeous golf courses).
- Lower prices: Many places of business at Smith Mountain Lake offer lower prices during the fall months after the peak season has passed. If you want to plan a visit, this is a great time to take advantage of discounts on everything from lodging to boat rentals to dining (superb variety of great restaurants).
- Special events: There are a number of special events that take place at Smith Mountain Lake during the fall season, such as the Smith Mountain Lake Wine Festival, the SML Charity Home Tour, and the Smith Mountain Lake Fall Festival. These events are a great way to enjoy the fall season and support the local community.
In addition to these general benefits, there are a few other things that make living on Smith Mountain Lake in the autumn so special. For example, the cooler weather is ideal for fishing, as the fish are more active in the fall. If you enjoy nature, fall is also a great time to spot wildlife, as many animals are bustling about preparing for winter.
Living on Smith Mountain Lake is a wonderful experience any time of year, but autumn is unique in its offerings and fun things to do. The mild weather, beautiful fall foliage, and fewer crowds make it a great time to come visit and enjoy all that the lake has to offer.