I am sure I am not alone in thinking this is one of the hottest endings to spring that I can remember at Smith Mountain Lake. Although it’s cooling down just a bit, with summer beginning on June 20th there are many wonderful, warm days ahead to look forward to.
When the weather steams up I start craving cool, light fruity foods and so have been looking for fun ideas to spice up the possibilities. I found the following 2 delightfully tasty and cold concoctions on Group Recipes and there are many more where these came from. Give one a try the next time you feel your temperature rising.
Honey Lime Fruit Toss
- 1 can unsweetened pineapple chunks (20 oz)
- 1 can mandarin oranges, drained (11ounces)
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 medium firm bananas, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 kiwi fruit, peeled, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon lime zest
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup juice; set juice aside.
- In a bowl, combine the pineapple, oranges, strawberries, kiwi, and bananas.
- In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, honey, lime zest and reserved pineapple juice.
- Pour over fruit and gently toss to coat.
- 2 1/2 cups fresh pink grapefruit juice at room temperature
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup caster sugar (or SUCANAT)
- Mint sprigs for garnish
- Combine water, sugar and juice in a bowl and whisk until sugar dissolves.
- Pour liquid into a baking pan. Freeze until hard, about 3 – 4 hours.
- To serve, scrape with a fork and spoon the scrapings into small chilled martini glasses or small glass bowls.
- Garnish with small sprigs of fresh mint.