If you are looking for a relaxing and fun vacation, Smith Mountain Lake, VA is a great place to visit. With so many things to do on land and water, you are sure to find something to keep you and the entire family entertained!
Here are just a few of the many summer activities at Smith Mountain Lake you can look forward to if you vacation at SML:
- Boating: Smith Mountain Lake is a popular spot for boating, fishing, and swimming. You can rent several different kinds of boats from the marinas around the lake.
- Fishing: People come from all over the country to fish or compete in fishing tournaments at the lake. It’s a great place to fish for a variety of species, including bass, trout, and catfish. You can get a fishing license at the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.
- Swimming: There are several swimming beaches on Smith Mountain Lake, as well as at some of the resorts and campgrounds.
- Hiking: There are several very nice hiking trails in the area, including the Smith Mountain Lake State Park Trail System. The trails are well-kept and beautiful to walk in good weather.
- Camping: Camping is a favorite pastime for many Americans in the summer. There are several campgrounds around the lake, where you can pitch a tent or rent a cabin.
- Visit a winery: Because the climate and terrain are friendly for growing grapes, there are quite a few vineyards and wineries in the Smith Mountain Lake area. Each has its own unique appeal and offers local wine tastings as well as enjoyable tours of the wineries.
- Shopping: There are quite a few fun shops and artisan offerings in the Smith Mountain Lake area, where you can find everything from souvenirs and art to locally-made crafts…..and everything in between.
- Restaurants: There are many types of restaurants in the Smith Mountain Lake area, serving a wide variety of cuisines. You could feasibly visit a different one each night for two weeks!
- Water Sports: There is something for every water sports lover – Kayaking, Sailing, Wakeboarding, Windsurfing, Paddleboarding, Diving, Water Skiing, Kneeboarding, and more.